Wednesday, July 27, 2011

ROME'S 1ST HUT TRIP

Our friends, Courtney and Ozzie, are members of the 10th Mountain Division of Colorado and by doing so, they get access to these AMAZING cabins in the backcountry of Colorado.  Pictures could never do justice the beauty and serenity of these places.  This was Travis and my 2nd hut trip with the Frances', and it was Rome's 1st.  I have to admit, with all the traveling lately, I am pooped!  I almost backed out of the hut trip thinking that if I have to pack one more bag, I might lose my mind.  Thankfully, I powered through and decided that a night away in the peaceful mountains of Colorado was just what I needed.  Indeed, it was!  I am so happy we went.  It's always a good time and never a dull moment with the Frances.  Their friends Sarah and Steve also joined us, whom we had met on our previous hut trip.  And we had 3 little boys (Finley France, 11 months; Rome Bostic, 3 months; and Thomas Seufert, 7 weeks), so it was just perfect.  We can't wait to do it again!

We got to the hut about 2pm on Friday.  Luckily, in the summer, you can drive right up to the cabin whereas in the winter you have to hike about a mile in.  So, we loaded up a cooler and anything else we might need for one night "roughing" it in the backcountry ;).  We went for a short hike that afternoon and then just chilled in the cabin.  We tried to hang out on the deck, but the mosquitos were absurd!  I thought they might carry Rome away!  So, with the little ones, we hung out inside and took in the view from there.  Travis and I cooked steak chimichurri tacos for dinner and then Courtney whipped up a pineapple upside down cake in the cast iron skillet.  AMAZING!!!  It was so good that we didn't even have room for smores later on.  We had a campfire outside for a while, but everyone was pretty exhausted with all the little ones that we retired pretty early.  On Saturday, we had breakfast and then the guys went mountain biking and the ladies and little guys went on another hike.  We had perfect weather both days, which made it even better.  Here are some pics to try to capture the beauty we experienced:

The View...Stunning!

Beer Hike



Elevation: 11,200

In front of Walters Cabin (the one we stayed in this time)

More scenery

Courtney, Sarah and Thomas, Me and Rome and Ozzie and Finley

Rome snoozin'

Ain't that love...

Daddy and Rome on the deck

Courtney and Finley playing

View from inside

Dusk

Rome and Finley.  This is gonna be T.R.O.U.B.L.E. in a few years ;)

Sarah and baby Thomas

The Frances

Happy Mama

Rome chillaxin'

Finley cuttin' a rug

Rome in his sweater from Argentina (Thanks Jim and Jen)

I still pinch myself to make sure this is real...


The Pineapple Upside Down Cake


Book Time

More chillin'

The beautiful cabin.

The ladies hiking

Ladies and our little men back from the hike

No comments:

Post a Comment