Wednesday, June 15, 2011

DEAR ABBY

For the past six weeks, I've had a new kind of extremely potent "love" pumping through my veins.  I've felt "on top of the world".  I'm so in love I could explode!  Unfortunately however, every ounce of love is dished out to my new son...leaving little left for dog and Daddy.  I don't pretend to be an overly compassionate person.  It's not my personality and admittedly, something I need to work on.  I'm not an ooey gooey, lovey dovey kind of person.  Never was, never will be.  I do, however, show complete compassion and public affection for Rome, which probably makes it worse for Travis and Nollie.  I know they feel love deprived, but at the end of the day, I just can't find enough left in me to sprinkle around to everyone.  I want to keep everyone happy and I feel like I'm failing two of the three.

Travis tries so hard to help.  I know most of my "drained" feeling is obviously due to lack of sleep.  He tells me every day before leaving for work to take a nap.  And if I haven't napped when he gets home, he offers to watch Rome while I take a nap.  He also offers to take a nighttime feeding, but I feel bad making him do that because he's going to bat for us every day by waking up and going to work when we get to stay home.  Oh, see!  I do have compassion ;).

And Nollie...well, as I sit here I just realized I forgot to feed her this morning.  Note to self.  Travis and I both have discussed how we "forget" to take care of her!  One day around 8PM she started peeing on the floor right in front of us (it wasn't a leak due to her urinary incontinence...which we are used to) and then we realized we hadn't taken her out since that morning.  Seriously?  Are we going to forget to take care of Rome once #2 is born?!?  LOL(CI).  Speaking of peeing, however, Nollie has decided to have an ornery streak the past two days.  The other day she walked right out on the balcony and peed like it was her every day behavior (luckily our neighbor wasn't outside or she would have gotten a golden shower).  She came strutting past me and I said "Excuse me?  What the hell was that"?  And just last night as Travis and I were taking care of our son playing Words With Friends, she peed on the living room rug - right in front of us!  Hmmmm, do you think someone is trying to get our attention?  I can't imagine why?  To clarify, Travis does not show this same childish behavior ;).

Doesn't this picture scream - "But, why don't you love me?"
I know I'm not the only new Mom out there with these feelings, because I've asked around.  But does anyone have any advice on how to spread the love around?

Sincerely,
Loved Out

1 comment:

  1. I personally think it's hardest going from 0 to 1 child just because of the adjustment that you have to make that you can't just do what you want when you want anymore. It's especially hard when you have kids a little later (I was 29)...you've had that much more time to just do your own thing and now theh world doesn't revolve around us anymore, but it's so totally worth it. I wish I had some words of wisdom for you Brooke. I could say, "do the date night thing once a month" but in reality life always seems to get in the way....things come up or you can't find a sitter, etc. In my opinion it's the small things every day that hold that bond and make it stronger. Give yourselves time to adjust to having Rome in the house....babies are major time suckers, but at least Travis has to understand that ;0) Now Nollie probably doesn't, but she will adjust as well, but it will take her time too. Anyway....hope you enjoyed my pearls of (no so) infinite wisdom...lol

    ReplyDelete