So, it occurred to me the other day when I was nursing Rome and playing with his hands, that I now have…MOM HANDS (gasp)! Seriously, my hands have changed right before my eyes. I had no idea. Part of it probably had to do with the striking difference between my 3-month-old son’s cute, innocent, pale, fragile little hands next to mine. Regardless, I haven’t thought about my hands in that way before and it really struck a cord with me.
Come to think of it though, I know my Mom’s hands very well. I can picture them right now and I could pick them out of a line-up any day. She works with her hands, so they are an art form in and of themselves. They show age, maturity, wisdom, and kindness. They are “Mom hands” too. I imagine them as they age. I can picture my Grandma’s hands too…even more age, maturity, wisdom and kindness! And I can even remember my Great-Grandma Boewe’s hands…still more age, maturity, wisdom and kindness, but also pale and fragile.
It reminds me of the saying someone posted on Facebook the other day:
2 years: “Mommy, I love you”
12 years: “Mom, whatever”
16 years: “Mom is so annoying”
18 years: “I can’t wait to leave this place”
25 years: “Mom, you were right”
30 years: “I want to go to Mom’s house”
50 years: “I don’t want to lose my Mom”
70 years: “I would give up everything for my Mom to be here with me”
It’s so true. I’ve luckily only gone through half of the stages and I still have my Mom here with me. I know Rome will go through them too. And I know someday it will all come full circle and I will be the one with the pale and fragile old hands, but I hope that they will have just as much maturity, wisdom and kindness as the great women before me, and that Rome (and his grandchildren) will appreciate my hands as much as I appreciate my Mother’s and Grandmother’s!
Ohh..Brooke, you made me cry. God chose the greatest Mom for Rome.Hang on to those precious little hands they grow right before your eyes. Soon they will be waving good-by on his first day of school. And then one day off to college. He may even move far away when he gives those hands in marriage." With all the love you have to give him, he's going to stay with you awhile!!"
ReplyDelete