Sunday, December 11, 2011

THANKSGIVING IN THE ROCKIES

Grandma and Grandpa Ferguson came to visit for Thanksgiving.  We had a ton of fun while they were here.  We had a great Thanksgiving feast by Chef Bostic then went up to Keystone for a couple nights in the mountains.  A few of the more memorable moments include:

1) Rome said "Ma Ma" (and meant it) for the first time.  We were on our way up to the mountains in the truck and he was getting fussy and he hit my hand and said "Maa-ma".  I, of course, stopped all the meaningless chatter happening elsewhere in the car to make the oh-so-important announcement.  Everyone was happy, but not as happy as I!  I know, I know, I'm going to hear that word a gajillion times in my lifetime, but the 1st one is gonna stick in my mind, that's for sure!

2) Laughing at how Rome cranks his arm up and down as he eats.  He likes to either do a chicken wing move, or just slap his arm really hard against his leg as he eats.  We joked that it must be how he digests the food.  Must be leg-smackin' good :).

3) Almost burning down the condo...twice!  The first night, we had stopped to get some ear candles because one of Mom's ears was stopped up.  She couldn't hear anything, which made it uncomfortable and annoying for her.  And, she screamed everything she said, or else was yelling "WHAAAT?" the entire time.  So, we decided to try an ear candle to get the wax out.  I had forgot exactly how to work them and so we started it on fire and then I blew it out.  Bad idea.  The room immediately filled with smoke.  I'm so surprised the fire alarm didn't go off.  Then, before leaving, someone had accidentally turned on one of the burners and Travis laid down the kitchen towel and all of a sudden we smelled something burning.  He picked up the towel and it was toast.  That was a serious close call.  We like to think we had them both under control, but we were pretty lucky regardless.

4) Watching Dad come down the last run of the day.  We can only laugh now that we know he's OK ;).  He did great the whole day.  He even had one guy ski past him and say "nice recovery, dude" after he did a whirly bird.  Well, the last run of the day, we were all tired and he had quite a trip down.  To his credit, the final run is quite steep!  He lost his one of his skis and skid quite a ways down before some nice guy brought him his ski and he made it down in one piece.

Here are some pics to re-cap:

Rome and Grandpa.  A big Thanks to the Burgeners for the Illini beanie :).

Grandma and Rome playing

Chef Bostic cutting the Bird...the right way!

Grandpa being silly

Ride the horsey

Notice the chicken wing in action


Oh how I love this little snow bunny!


1st ride in the Gondola!

Don't look down!

Photo shoot on top of the mountain

Taking in the view...

He gets his blue eyes from Mama :)

That there in the back would be the slope Grandpa took his dive on ;).  Nice recovery, duuuude!

Continental Divide

Rome allowed me to witness this beautiful sunrise one morning!

Picking out the perfect Christmas Tree!

Rome liked Rudolf

Playin' hard

Decorating the Christmas Tree!

1 comment:

  1. These are wonderful pics! I can't wait to see some from his first Christmas!

    ReplyDelete