Monday, May 23, 2011

HAPPIEST BABY IN THE 'HOOD

A friend of mine gave great praise to the book/video called "Happiest Baby on the Block".  I joke here, calling it "Happiest Baby in the 'Hood" because of where we live.  Don't get me wrong, we really don't live in "the hood".  But we do live in a rather happening place in the City.  There is a late night restaurant and bar basically in our back yard, so between the two, they generate quite the ambient nighttime noise.  We are also close to a fire station, so fire sirens are the norm around here.  Ah, the sounds of the City!  Travis and I have grown accustomed to it, but now that I'm a new mother, I wake up at the drop of a hat.  So, if it isn't the baby cooing, I'm awakened by bums talking to themselves or people "woo hooing" their way out of the bar.  It turns out the late night shenanigans doesn't bother Rome in the slightest.

This post is to praise Dr. Kamp, the author of Happiest Baby on the Block and his methods for getting a newborn to sleep better.  I wrote previously about not knowing if Rome liked to be swaddled because he liked having his hands.  Well, we Netflixed the video and they say to stick with it no matter what!  They also show you precisely how to get the perfect swaddle.  Watching him do it helped me a ton.  Now I'm a swaddling pro! And Rome has gotten used to it.  He even yawns as soon as I get him tight and swaddled.  We've also tried the side swinging motion with the head jiggle that Dr. Kamp does in the video.  Travis and I call him the "baby whisperer".  I'm not sure how many out takes there were in the video, but this guy can take a screaming baby to sleeping in 2.5 seconds!  It's amazing.  So, needless to say, we are reaping the benefits of this wonderful video as well, and I recommend it to any new parents.  It is a must have!

Even though it may be a bit early, we're trying to begin to implement a bed time routine.  We put Rome down anywhere from 9pm to 11pm and he's been sleeping until 2am (give or take an hour) and then wakes up again at 5am (give or take an hour).  I'm looking forward to the longer spans of sleep.  I've gotten one night with 4 straight hours of sleep and it made all the difference!  Even though the lack of continuous sleep is still hard to handle, I've realized you just get used to it.  Also, short naps during the day really make the difference in my attitude toward the end of the day.  Daddy is a BIG fan of them ;).  He reaps the benefits and so does Rome.  Getting enough sleep throughout the day really determines what kind of Wife and Mother you are at the end of the day...so get your sleep any way you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment