Friday, May 20, 2011

WHERE IS MY MIND?


As Travis likes to say – there’s one thing about Parenthood that cannot be OVER-hyped, and that is the love and bond you feel with your child the second you meet them.  Everyone tells you how powerful this feeling is, but until you actually feel it for yourself, you can never imagine the grandeur of it. 

I’d like to add another thing about Parenthood that cannot be over-hyped, and that is the psychosis that is caused by lack of sleep in a new Mother.  Wow!  I sort of got sick of hearing the “get all the rest you can now, cause your gonna need it” schpeel.  However, and proven yet again to be true, until you experience if for yourself, you really cannot grasp it. 

Today I was reminded of The Pixies song “Where is My Mind”.  Lyrics include “with my feet in the air and my head on the ground…”.  This is how I felt this morning – upside down!  After practically no sleep, a night full of cluster feeding, sore nipples, and a fussy and crying baby all night and all morning, I was beside myself.  I tried everything.  He was in my arms constantly.  Don’t get me wrong, I still love every second, but my mind needed a time out.  I finally got him to lie down in my bed in the afternoon and I thought I’d try to get some shut-eye.  I found myself dozing off:


Ah, that feels good.  Wait...my arm (which was strategically placed for nursing while laying down) had fallen asleep.  I can’t move!  If I move, he’ll wake up.  So, I sit there and take it.  I’m so uncomfortable, but know from experience that risking even a twitch and I could have a crying baby in my arms again.  I think I managed to wink out a 20 minute nap in 5 minute intervals.  Oh well, laying in that bed watching my little angel sleep was therapeutic enough.  Thankfully we have friends bringing over dinner!  Hoping for better nights ahead.  To those parents with colicky babies - I salute you!



Naps...the new Red Bull

No comments:

Post a Comment