Tuesday, May 17, 2011

MY PREGNANCY


Well, here we are at your 2-week birthday and I’m finally sitting down to start your journal.  I had great intentions of writing in a journal every week of the pregnancy so that you could look back on it someday.  I promise I’m going to try really hard to keep this journal up so I can document all of your achievements.  I don’t ever want to forget the feelings you’ve given me!

This has been the best year of my life.  Your Dad and I got married on May 1, 2010.  It was one of the happiest moments of my life.  After the wedding, we traveled to Turkey and Greece for our honeymoon.  I still daydream daily about that awesome trip.  We love to travel, so get ready!  We hope to take you on lots of adventures!  Last summer, on August 22nd, I took a pregnancy test and found out that we were pregnant!  We were so happy.  We went straight to the bookstore to get books on pregnancy because I had no idea what to expect.  We found out at our first appointment that your due date was April 30th, one day before our 1st Anniversary!

I probably read 8 books cover to cover on pregnancy and giving birth.  I’m a “planner”, you see.  I wanted to be good and ready to bring you into this world.  Ironically, all of the symptoms of pregnancy I read about really didn’t apply to me.  I’ve never felt better in my life than when you were inside of me.  I didn’t get sick.  I didn’t have cravings.  I wasn’t emotional.  I DID have some aches and pains toward the end, but other than that, we were a solid team.  You traveled a lot in utero. We climbed a Colorado 14er (Mt. Sunshine).  That was before I knew I was pregnant!  We went to Taos and Santa Fe, New Mexico for a music festival.  We went to Pasadena and Los Angeles, California and Portland, Oregon for work. We went on a cruise for Todd and Courtney’s wedding to the Grand Caymans, Belize, Cozumel and Honduras!  And we went back to Illinois for your cousin Ashley’s wedding.  I waited to tell all of my family that I was pregnant until we got there because I wanted to see their reaction in person.  I was 10 weeks pregnant, so I had already gotten an ultrasound.  I acted like I had a really great picture of the wedding that no one had seen yet, and when I brought out the picture frame, it was the ultrasound picture of YOU!  Grandma Joni, Aunt Misty, Aunt Jamie, Aunt Logan and all of your cousins gathered round.  They all did double-takes, and then pure hysteria arose.  Aunt Misty screamed so loud that she made Griffen start crying.  Grandma, Jamie and Logan followed suit with loud screams and crying.  Grandpa came in and said “What’s going on in here?”.  He’s always the last to find things out L.  We all jumped up and down and laughed and cried.  It was a memory I will never forget for as long as I live! 

The next 9 months were full of happiness for your Dad and me.  We were so excited to be getting a baby.  We were more than ready to start a family and the next chapter of our lives.  We immediately started discussing names.  We went on a walk to Cheesman Park and we both started thinking about names that reminded us of Italy since that is where we fell in love.  Rome was the first name that came up.  We lived in Rome, so it only made sense.  I said “Rome would make a cool boy name” and Travis agreed.  He said he had a friend named Rome growing up.  We kept that name in our back pocket all along.  We knew we wanted your name to mean something.  We thought about old family names like Ellis (my great-grandpa Boewe’s name) and Ryce (a Bostic family name).  We discussed Siena (Italy) if you were a girl and Nevie, from Nieve, which means “snow” in Spanish.  Other girl names that I liked were Lucy and Lily.  Your Dad and I could never fully agree on girl names, so we waited until the ultrasound at 18 weeks to see what you were going to be.  It’s a BOY!  We quickly ran through all of our boy names and decided that we both loved Rome too much.  That would be your name!  Your middle name, Robert, is named after BOTH of your Grandfathers!  How lucky!  



No comments:

Post a Comment