This past week has been an emotional roller coaster for me. Last Friday, I was asked by my boss to take an extended maternity leave, AKA "don't work and don't get paid, but get to stay home with my baby a little longer". Had this been asked of me with more notice, I may have considered it. Unfortunately, we have expended nearly everything we saved so that I could take 4 months off to stay home with Rome (many thanks to my husband for that). I did have mixed feelings about leaving Rome to go back to work, but all in all, I was ready. I'm a "schedule" type person, so I was eager to get back into a daily routine. And not only that, but I have been craving some intellectual stimulation. Don't get me wrong, I cherish each moment that I get to baby-talk with Rome, but I was also excited for him to get the chance to hang out with other kids his age. I was so excited about our nanny share that we have set up with 2 wonderful families and 2 precious boys Rome's age, not to mention a great nanny! I did not want to lose this awesome situation we had all set up and ready to go. And, on top of learning this scary news, I had come down with a terrible sore throat and cold and I have been terrified of getting Rome sick. Of all the time off I had to get sick, I pick the week before (supposedly) going back to work to get sick?!? Ugh!
With so many unknowns, I decided to go ahead and enjoy my weekend and not worry or stress about issues that were out of my hands, until need be. Travis and I had tickets to see Phish on Friday night, so I popped a copious amount of Vitamin C, and off we went! We enjoyed a rockin' night out while our friend Adriann watched Rome. The rest of the weekend was spent relaxing and nursing my sickness and just enjoying each others company and appreciating what we have. Last weekend was beautiful, so we had a picnic in the park every day and went on a hike on Monday.
To skip the drama and cut to the chase, on Tuesday I talked with my boss and I do still have my job. We (the 3 employees left there) all had to take a pay cut and got our hours reduced in order to save the company money...and our jobs. It is not good times for architects, unfortunately. I really, really hope something happens soon to turn things around!
So, through all of this, I have learned to appreciate the things I do have. I really am a lucky person to have the life I have. Therefore, today's post is to remind me to "don't worry, be happy". I have so much to be thankful for, but here is my Top Ten List:
10. I love FALL! The weather has been absolutely perfect lately!
9. I live in the beautiful state of Colorado, where I can enjoy some of the country's most beautiful places at my back door.
8. I have food in my fridge and we have enough to feed our family, and occasionally entertain others (something we LOVE to do).
7. I have a roof over my head...and a beautiful one, at that!
6. I have enough means to enjoy life on a daily basis. Although last week was scary, I still knew that we could survive no matter what happens.
5. I have my health! Even though I have a measly sore throat and cold, I know that it could be much worse.
4. I have the most wonderful family and friends and I know that if anything ever did happen to jeopardize my wonderful life, the people I love would be there to help me.
3. I hear the words "I love you" at least once a day. I have a wonderful husband!
2. I HAVE A JOB!
And the number one thing that I am appreciative of, and the one thing that has taught me more about life in the last 4 months than I ever learned in 29 years of being...
1. MY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY BABY BOY!
With so many unknowns, I decided to go ahead and enjoy my weekend and not worry or stress about issues that were out of my hands, until need be. Travis and I had tickets to see Phish on Friday night, so I popped a copious amount of Vitamin C, and off we went! We enjoyed a rockin' night out while our friend Adriann watched Rome. The rest of the weekend was spent relaxing and nursing my sickness and just enjoying each others company and appreciating what we have. Last weekend was beautiful, so we had a picnic in the park every day and went on a hike on Monday.
To skip the drama and cut to the chase, on Tuesday I talked with my boss and I do still have my job. We (the 3 employees left there) all had to take a pay cut and got our hours reduced in order to save the company money...and our jobs. It is not good times for architects, unfortunately. I really, really hope something happens soon to turn things around!
So, through all of this, I have learned to appreciate the things I do have. I really am a lucky person to have the life I have. Therefore, today's post is to remind me to "don't worry, be happy". I have so much to be thankful for, but here is my Top Ten List:
10. I love FALL! The weather has been absolutely perfect lately!
9. I live in the beautiful state of Colorado, where I can enjoy some of the country's most beautiful places at my back door.
8. I have food in my fridge and we have enough to feed our family, and occasionally entertain others (something we LOVE to do).
7. I have a roof over my head...and a beautiful one, at that!
6. I have enough means to enjoy life on a daily basis. Although last week was scary, I still knew that we could survive no matter what happens.
5. I have my health! Even though I have a measly sore throat and cold, I know that it could be much worse.
4. I have the most wonderful family and friends and I know that if anything ever did happen to jeopardize my wonderful life, the people I love would be there to help me.
3. I hear the words "I love you" at least once a day. I have a wonderful husband!
2. I HAVE A JOB!
And the number one thing that I am appreciative of, and the one thing that has taught me more about life in the last 4 months than I ever learned in 29 years of being...
1. MY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY BABY BOY!
| Our little Phish phan! |
| Love this! |
| Rome practicing his new "grip" |
![]() |
| Looking into Daddy's eyes...listening carefully ("goo goo gaaaaaa") |

No comments:
Post a Comment