Thursday, May 3, 2012

HAPPY 1ST BIRTHDAY ROME!!!

Dear Rome,
I'm not gonna lie...this past year has not been easy.  But it has given me the greatest joy I could ever imagine.  Yes, there have been ups and downs...it turns out bringing a human into this world isn't a piece of cake.  After all, it takes a lot of effort to mold perfection ;).   

Watching you grow over the last year has given me the greatest pleasure.  You are starting to come into your "own", and it is fascinating.  You are very independent, confident and determined (I wonder where you get it...surely not your Dad or me).  You are mostly serious, but I think you're going to be quite the jokester too.  You already tease me by handing me something and acting like you're going to give it to me and then right at the last second, you take it back.  You have charm for days.  You definitely know how to melt my heart with a combination of a bat of the eyes and a modest smile.  You still have no hair!  The only time I can even make an attempt at a hair-do is when I put sunscreen on your head and point your hair into a mini-mohawk.  But even then, you have to get the light just right to even see it because your hair is so blonde.  You are becoming quite the chatter box and you have very important things to say.  You've never been a fan of stuffed animals or anything soft for that matter, but you've grown quite fond of Nollie Bear.  You think Nollie is the most wonderful thing in the world!  She lets you hug her and smack her face and paws and tell her "Nooooo, Nahyee, no!".  I think she's finally getting the hang of you.  She at least knows you're here to stay...she's still struggling with you taking her place.  Don't worry though, she'll get over it.

More than anything Rome, I want to thank you for teaching me some of life's most valuable lessons: to live in the moment and not sweat the small stuff.  It took my type A personality a while to adjust, but I can honestly say that you make me appreciate every single second of every single day.  Life is a precious, precious gift and since you've been the one to teach me these important life lessons, it is my duty to act on them because we are all products of our environment, and as you grow up I want your environment to be as happy, healthy and care free as possible.

I made this video picture collage with pictures from this past year and all the adventures we've taken you on.  I chose the song "I'll Fight" by Wilco (one of my all-time favorite bands).  The song is actually about a soldier whose life was purchased by a rich man in the Civil War.  The rich man "bought" his freedom by paying someone else to fight his war.  To me though, it is a classic love song, especially from a Mother to a Son.  I will fight your wars anytime you need me to.  I'd fight for you, and most certainly...I'd die for you.


With love, 
Ma-ma


2 comments:

  1. great video happy birthday rome we love u

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke,
    I just watched the video & it was wonderful! It's great that someday Rome will be able to read & watch all this. Keep posting pics & videos. We love them! HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROME!!
    LOVE YOU GUYS!
    Michelle, Gabe, & Nolan

    ReplyDelete